Kids With Cancer Summer Camps
The Kentucky State Major Project is Kids with Cancer & Jim Bob Kevil Kids With Cancer Fund, both of which aid families with children affected by cancer. Each year, Kentucky Elks raise funds to help support two camps in Kentucky. Camp Quality Kentuckiana and the Kids Cancer Alliance Summer Camp both provide a week of fun and relaxation for children who have been diagnosed with cancer. The camps focus on the values that Elks members support including: citizenship, family values, teamwork and responsibility, community and giving, respect, fairness, and tolerance. It is the belief that each camper will hopefully leave camp with a life-enhancing experience and a concrete example of the “Elks Care, Elks Share” philosophy.
Camp Quality Kentuckiana is a 501(c)3 organization that is part of an international network of 55 Camp Quality camps in 19 countries and 15 camps in 11 states. Their mission is to provide a weeklong camping experience and year-round support vehicle to children with cancer and their families. The week of camp and our various support activities are provided free of charge to the children and their families.
The goals of the camp:
- To create stress-free environments that offer exciting activities, foster new friendships, and give children courage, motivation, emotional strength, and hope.
- To give the families of children with cancer a much-needed rest, knowing that the highest quality programs will be selected and the finest medical supervision will be provided to ensure a happy, fun, and, most importantly, safe camping environment.
- To pair each camper with his/her own caring companion so that the special experiences of the camping week can be shared and to further expand the camper’s support system.
- To give our campers hope for the future in that the camping experience will be such fun, they will look forward to and anticipate the next camp, and that the memories from their special week will sustain them in the weeks and months ahead as they continue their medical treatment.
- And last, but not least… TO LET KIDS WITH CANCER BE KIDS AGAIN!
Kids Cancer Alliance Summer Camp
Our week-long camp lets kids with cancer build friendships and focus on the important things in life – arts and crafts, swimming, hiking and s ‘mores. Nurses, trained volunteers, and a staff doctor are on hand to ensure every camper’s safety. A day camp option allows younger kids to be part of the fun as well.
At Sibling Camp, brothers and sister of kids with cancer get the chance to meet peers in a similar situation while enjoying some special fun and receiving attention that’s all their own.
Jim Bob Kevil Kids with Cancer Fund
Kentucky Elks also support raising funds that contribute to the Jim Bob Kevil Kids with Cancer Endowment Fund. This fund helps families with the costs associated with their child’s cancer treatment, including but not limited to gas costs, medication, lodging, and other needs. Families are eligible to receive a maximum of $1000 a year from this fund and must be referred by a licensed physician or assigned social worker. Download the grant application here KWC Grant Application (DOCX).